Gastrophoria is a big bowl of homemade ginger carrot soup.
A few months back, I had the most amazing bowl of ginger carrot soup at the Padre Hotel for a carrot themed weekend hosted by Grimmway Farms. It was one of the dishes that just lingers in your mind. So velvety, so rich and with just enough heat to keep it all interesting.
I rarely get excited about soup, especially one without meat! So, I reached out and asked the good people of the Padre Hotel to see if they would so inclined as to share with me their recipe. To my surprise, they agreed! The most unbelievable part of this is how simple the recipe is—all that’s required are basically are baby carrots and aromatics. Yet, the end product tastes exactly like the real deal.
Thought I’d pay it forward and share with you all, enjoy!
Ginger Carrot Soup
Recipe courtesy of Padre Hotel
40 chopped Grimmway Farms baby carrots
1/2 cup fresh ginger, minced
1 whole yellow onion, chopped
6-10 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2-3 tablespoons ginger powder
4-6 quarts of vegetable stock depending on how thick you like your soup
Salt and white pepper to taste
1/2 tablespoon oil
Splash of honey to sweeten (if needed)
Or, reduced for home
6 cups Grimmway Farms baby carrots
1 tablespoon fresh, ginger minced
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ginger powder
8 cups vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon oil
1. Heat a stock pot over medium high heat and pour in oil.
2. Add in carrots, onions, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring constantly until they sweat (but not brown).
3. Add in the spices and pour in the vegetable stock.
4. Increase the heat to high until the mixture comes to a boil. Then turn the heat down so it is at a simmer. Cook for about 30 minutes until carrots are soft.
5. Turn off the heat and blend the mixture in either a blender or food processor till smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Reheat if necessary.
6. Garnish with cream if you desired and enjoy! Also great chilled.