By Tsz on May 1, 2013
Gastrophoria is homemade banana peanut butter ice cream.
For the past month, I’ve been making several life changes—such as the sabbatical, healthier eating and the newly acquired three-times-a-week gym habit. As someone who is not a fan of sweating, this is a BIG deal!
What was the catalyst? I’d like to say it was due to a lifestyle resolution. Alas, I am not that self-disciplined. This change was induced by a surprise present by the Gentleman Weightlifter—a ticket to the Gladiator Rock’n Run.
There are normal 5K runs, and there is the Gladiator Run. Created by Dan Clark (better known as Nitro from the original American Gladiators), this run features 17 obstacles and a rock concert in addition to the standard run. Holy cannoli.
While I can barely run a mile, I’m also not one to step back from a challenge. Thus my foray into the gym and a revised eating plan in preparation for the big day happening on June 8th!
One of my weaknesses is my sweet tooth, so I’ve been on a mission to create healthy desserts that doesn’t include the usual loads of unhealthy (albeit delicious) sugar and fats. Imagine my surprise that it was possible to make a luxuriously creamy ice cream with just bananas. Yep, that’s right—no eggs, cream nor sugar needed and one of my favorite ways to reward myself after a workout!
For added protein and flavor, I like to add a big dollop of peanut butter in the mix. My co-worker recently introduced me to Peanut Butter & Co’s unique PB concoctions and it’s now my obsession. I used Cinnamon Raisin Swirl (tastes like Cinnabon) and Dark Chocolate Dreams (like Nutella, but with peanuts) this time around but any PB will do the trick so feel free to experiment!
Looking for a fitness challenge for yourself?
I’ve partnered with the generous people from the Gladiator Rock’n Run to give away a pair of tickets to the upcoming Gladiator Rock’n Run ($160 value) held in Irvine, California on June 8th for one lucky reader!
To enter, simply:
1. Follow Gastrophoria on Facebook and Twitter more tasty goodness!
2. Follow Gladiator Rock’n Run on Facebook and Twitter for updates on their upcoming events.
3. Visit the Gladiator Rockn’ Run website to get a preview of the event and leave a comment below on which obstacle course you plan on dominating and also your favorite guilt free dessert!
The contest ends on May 10th and the creator, Dan himself will be choosing two winners from the entries. The first place winner with get a pair of tickets to the upcoming Gladiator Rock’n Run ($160 value) held in Great Park in Irvine and the runner up will get 50% off a pair of tickets ($80 value).
Good luck and hope to see you at the run!
Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream
4 tablespoons of your favorite peanut butter
1. Cut the bananas into medallions and freeze till solid in the freezer, around 2 hours.
2. Put the frozen bananas in a food processor and let blend till creamy, around 5 minutes. Scrape down the sides as needed.
3. Add the peanut butter and blend till evenly mixed.
4. Serve immediately as a soft serve or freeze for an hour to get the traditional consistency of ice cream.