Gastrophoria is a crunchy, homemade blueberry lemon ginger oat bar.
I love watching movies—nothing beats a cozy night in with a film and a big bowl of popcorn (with grated parmesan + truffle oil please)! One exercise I tend to do during movie nights is to envision a signature dish that embodies the main character or the film itself. Is that weird?
While watching Fantastic Mr. Fox lately, I was enamored by the line, “Beagles love blueberries!” Since then, I’ve been itching to create a dish that Mr. Fox himself would enjoy.
My creation? A rustic oat bar that’s filled with sweet blueberries (sans sleeping powder), scented with lemon and studded with candied ginger for a little zing. Perfect snack to bring along for long stakeouts and adventures in the woods (or in the city)!
To complete the mood, the immensely talented Shannon of Sass & Peril shared a few of her foxy wares. Inspired by Mid-Century design and Scandinavian aesthetics, Shannon breathes life into playful illustrations made out of simple geometric shapes. Truly fantastic, don’t you think?
Blueberry Lemon Ginger Oat Bars
Makes 12 bars
1 1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup dried wild blueberries
2 tablespoons minced candied ginger (about 2 slices)
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup melted butter
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a cupcake pan or a 9×9 inch pan depending on if you’d prefer to have round bars or to cut your own.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine oats, blueberries, ginger, lemon zest and sugar. Mix well.
3. Mix the melted butter with the honey and pour into the oats. Stir until the mixture is thoroughly mixed.
4. Divide the mixture in the 12 cupcake cups or within the square pan. Press to shape.
5. Bake till golden brown—around 20–25 minutes. Let cool and enjoy!